About Me

My photo
I grew up in El Hoyo Simons, Montebello, Calfornia

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Going to the show

Photobucket

Who can forget catching the Montebello Bus on Sundays on Date St. and Greenwood Blvd, or by the Greenwood market, south of Date St. to go catch a movie at one of the theatres on Whittier Blvd, The Vogue in Montebello, The Strand, the Boulevard, the Royale, (Cowboy movies), the Golden Gate, the United Artists, all in East L.A.. Later in 1950 when it opened, the Garmar in Montebello.

In the late ’40′s I used to go to the Royale Theatre on Whittier Blvd in E.L.A to see a western double feature, cartoons, news reel and a serial chapter, admission was 14 cents, round trip bus ride from the Simons Brickyard was also 14 cents, so for 28 cents we would have a nice day at the movies. I would shine shoes, take bottles to the store. Man!, when ever I went to the show with a buck I felt like a rich kid….


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Frank, I spent a lot of time in both of those theaters. A double feature and a cartoon, plus you could stay and see the movies as many times as you wanted. Those were the good old days. Things move to fast for me now.

    Frank, this blog is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Randy.Had to do something different. sign up and post some of your memories on the home page...

    ReplyDelete