About Me

My photo
I grew up in El Hoyo Simons, Montebello, Calfornia

Friday, July 5, 2013

"What a Racket"

When I was a kid in Simons I had a good racket going. In the hot summer months the brickyard workers would start working in the early AM, 4:00AM to be exacted. Their first break was at 7:00AM, which was their breakfast break. At 6:00AM I would get my wagon, a wagon that I had made out of a wooded box, and start out of the house with a breakfast that my mom had made for my Pop and I, I would then go to some of the other worker's houses and pick up their breakfast's to be delivered to them. In every home that I would go in to pick up a lunch I would fine the lady of the house making tortillas as they listened to Maria Ellen Salinas play Mexican music on her radio show. I would eat a hot tortilla at every pick-up. After picking up the lunches I would dropped off the worker's breakfast's first and save my Pop's to the last so that I could have a hot breakfast of tacos and coffee with him.

It was a good little racket that allowed me to make money to go to the movie show and also gave me time to spend with Pops at his work at the brickyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment