About Me

My photo
I grew up in El Hoyo Simons, Montebello, Calfornia

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Received this e-mail today (9-3-2011)

Hello Frank "KiKi" Baltazar,

I stumbled upon your blog/website a couple of months ago and have found it very interesting. Mainly because it is part of my roots. I enjoy reading and looking at the pictures. My grandfather was Sabino Baltazar and he and Francisco Baltazar were related. As best that I know, is that they were cousins. My mother, Maria Elisa Baltazar, was born in 1929 in Simons. Sabino met and married his wife, Eufemia, in Denver, Colorado. Sabino worked for the Union (or Southern) Pacific railroad laying railroad tracks. Eufemia was a farm worker in Colorado. So, Sabino met Eufemia as his tracks were passing by her farm in Denver. Sabino's job somehow took him by Simons were my mother was born. Due to the great-depression, Sabino took his family back to Mexico (Penjamo, Gto). Sometime, in the mid '50's my mother returned to the Simon's area (maybe/probably stayed with Eulalia Baltazar). In December of 1956, Elisa married my father, Paulino Araujo at the church in Simons. They had their first child, a son, Juan Manuel "John" Araujo, in March 1958. That is me. I have my own life story but what you posted on the web is fantastic. Now, I know what Simons was like. I only really got to know Eulalia and Frank Arriola and the rest of that household from 1958 and on. I never really got to know the rest of the extended family which are part of my/your/our roots.

Before, I would get excited whenever I saw a Simons brick just because all I knew was that that was were my mother was born. Now, I know more. I went to Cal State LA and was on the cross country team. On the team, our best runner was named Cary Simons. I never put two and two together until I read your material but I bet he is related to Mr. Simons of the brickyard. That is all for now.

Thanks. John Araujo

PS - In the '80's, I recall reading/hearing about the boxing Baltazars. I always wondered if I was related. Now, I know. It seems that us Baltazars have athletics in our genes.

No comments:

Post a Comment